April is National Pest Management Month, an annual public observance recognized by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) and Chase’s Calendar of Events, that celebrates the pest management industry and pest control professionals for their commitment to protecting the public’s health, food and properties from common household pests.
Johnny B’s Pest Control is joining the month-long observance to encourage homeowners to prepare for those pesky spring and summer pest invasions by taking the proper precautions to protect their health, food and homes.
“National Pest Management Month falls at the perfect time for homeowners to be proactive and complete simple home improvements to pest-proof their homes,” said John Bozarjian, CEO at Johnny B’s Pest Control. “Spring is when we begin to notice an increase in pests, such as ants, termites, mosquitoes and other stinging insects, so we strongly encourage homeowners to contact a pest control professional at the first sign of an infestation.”
Johnny B’s Pest Control recommends the following tips to assist homeowners in pest-proofing their homes this spring:
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters to help reduce biting mosquito populations.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well-trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as highways into the home.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time.
- Consider partnering with a pest control professional to determine the best preventative service plan to suit your home and needs.